Monday, November 15, 2010

Planning a CHEEP Mini-Vacay

This post is linked to 'Works for me' Wednesday!
Our family usually visits a theme park around Christmas time that is always decorated for the holidays. Our kids are 2 and 7, and 'seeing the lights' is still fun for them. A lot of times though, this can be the crunch time as far as money goes. This year we've been collecting deals from all year to make a super CHEEP trip, around 100$ for our family of 4. Here's what we do:

1. Hotel  49.95$
This is our biggest expense. We usually check much sooner in the month, but with tangers great gift card deal and how busy we get closer to the holidays, we just booked it. Usually a week ahead of time still gets you great deals, but don't go any closer. We check expedia and travelocity, and within hours one had sold out. *Another tip* I usually find what I want on those sites, and then call the hotel. I saved a few dollars just by doing that, plus there is a 24 hour cancellation policy. Usually the travel sites have a cancellation fee.

2. Gas 35.00$
This is our next biggest expense. We often get small gift cards to wal-mart and fill up at a supercenter or sams, but this year we will be shelling this out. We are going to try to save in the other areas though.

3.Theme park 0.00
We are blessed to get tickets to this park for Christmas. If you are asked and there is one near you, these make great easy gifts and often are packed with other free passes. Think about this for people with kids, it is often too expensive for families to buy outright. *Tip* I know when we went to sea-world we got a 'come back any day' for free. We never did!

4.Food Free-CHEEP
Here another place to save those Gift cards. We had a flyer to a local pizza parlour. This isn't fancy, but let's be honest, with 2 kids what's the point of going to a nice restaurant anymore??:) We also have the BOGO from dominos that was available awhile back. The kids LOVE having dominos deliver, and they don't mind pizza overload! Also we always stay at a hotel with continental breakfast. I personally don't care for this, but don't really like breakfast.

We also PACK food. I have to do this anywhere, my kids will be hungry between Mcdonalds and home. It helps those on diets from going off track, and kids to be happy on long trips.I usually don't buy lunchmeat for nutritional reasons, so here is some alternatives (i'd love to hear yours):

Pizza Cinnamon rolls-just like it sounds, with sauce and ronis inside, cheeze sprinkled on top
Tuna Packets- we get these free-CHEEP and this is much better than the canned kind
Homemade lunchables-sliced american cheese, ritz crackers, and small treat
Fruit and veggies- Something we always miss eating out.Pack baby carrots, whole washed fruit, etc.
Bagels and Cream Cheese- Yum!
We pack a small cooler with a frozen gallon jug or pop bottles, but try not to take too much that needs to be cold period. We also start the kids with squirty drink bottles, with water, that we may put juice in later, but wash out in the room. I will also bake up a whole batch of cookies or brownies  and put in individual packets of saran in a tupperware for an easy ready to go snack.

5. Shopping 0-50$
We did take advantage of the tanger deal on facebook, and I think this will be 'gifted' to me for my birthday, if not we will spend 50 for 100$ at the outlet, and will probably buy lots of Christmas with it! Also I do swagbucks and get completely free gift cards. I have one to target, and I also got 2 5$ free in Real Simple (1-year auto-renewal) (that I got for CHEEP) and Martha Stewart Living (1-year auto-renewal) (also on sale). We use the hallmark for candy!
I am so excited about my tiny Va-Cay, Let me know your tips!!

No comments:

Post a Comment